In John, chapter 13, just as Jesus is preparing to be betrayed by Judas and die for us in the most shameful, gruesome way… He washes the feet of the disciples. The thing that surprises me most, is not His servanthood nearing the hour of his sacrifice, but what He tells the disciples.
13“You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am.
14“If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.
15“For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.
(Emphasis mine)
I almost expect Him to say that they should actually be washing His feet because He is the Lord and the Teacher, but He doesn’t. He wants them to learn to serve each other. And remember, these disciples, are teenagers… maybe in their early twenties, not old men as we picture them.
And then he gives them a new commandment:
34“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
35“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Not just that you love one another, but also how. He says to love like He loves. We should then look like our Rabi and have dust on us because we follow Him so closely.
No comments:
Post a Comment