Sunday, October 05, 2008

Words from my dear friend Elisabeth Elliot:

In reference to "Spiritual Opposition". I have been holding onto this tightly this week:

E.L. Langston:
The devil does not like that paper nor its articles, and is evidently attacking you in your inmost heart, not causing you to doubt so much as causing the spirit of discontent. Fortunately, we both know that temptation is not a sin, it is yielding to temptation that causes us to sin and I feel that you must count it joy that you are passing through these times of difficulty, for they are sure signs that the LORD is blessing you...
There is another reason, I think, for the cause of the feeling within us. It comes from the flesh and self-introspection. It is good for us to look at self and know how loathsome it is, but with one look at self we must take ten looks at Christ...
No one goes to Church more than the devil does, and no one appears as an angel of light as he does. We are in the thick of facing powers of darkness who are determined to rob us of Him and rob God of us, and you and I, my brother, have just got to hope in Christ and rely on Him for His Spirit to direct our thoughts, our ways, and our works so that it is not us but Christ in us.

E. Elliot:
Wasn't it wonderful that that letter be preserved so that I "chanced upon it" in the hour of my need? But that is so like the LORD, for it is through the tender austerity of our very troubles that the Son of Man comes knocking. In every event He seeks an entrance to my heart, yes, even in my most helpless, futile, fruitless moments. The very cracks and empty crannies of my life, my perplexities and hurts and botched-up jobs, He want to fill with Himself, His joy, His life. The more unsatisfactory my "performance," the more He calls me to share His yoke. I should know by now that mine makes me tired and overburdened. He urges me to learn of Him: "I am gentle and humble in heart."

I have been needing this prayer this week and have been praying for these words for years. It's incredible that an answer to prayer BE a prayer. I see this as joy... no matter how hard or terribly painful. Jesus suffered more...


No comments:

Post a Comment