The other is a faith-based concern and it may sound like an excuse (to not get the degree) but I don't mean it to be (cuz I really would like to go back to school). I am under the impression that God has called/commissioned me to counsel others (not in a psychiatry or diagnostics psychologist, just someone who helps people get their thoughts straight). I believe that He has already given me this gift and I fear that schooling may "ruin/taint" God's glory by me being more educated by a school. I believe that He calls the weak and uneducated to do mighty things, and those mighty things stand out for His glory more than when we can claim "that we can do it on our own". I don't want to do it on my own. I like how God does it through me. I don't want to mess with that.
So what do I do? Be Moses or Paul? Solomon is a great example of God's glory shining through by the gift that was given. Of course, the 700 wives and 300 concubines with their gods turned his heart away from God in the end, but I think you know what I mean. I've heard from several people that going to a "Christian" college made missions or spreading the Gospel harder because it became over-thought rather than natural.
*But there is the bias that "no educated man can be a Christian" and I'd like to be able to speak to educated people with some form of authority. If I don't get my education, then I won't be able to be paid for the counseling that I provide. I suppose that's one of the biggest questions... Do I want to get paid for the counseling that I provide or do I want it to be a life thing that is who I am regardless of paycheck?
Crap. I keep coming back to that and I honestly can't answer it.
you know, friend, I'm glad I went to Seminary. Yes, there was a constant tension in "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength". It was MUCH easier to get top heavy in the "mind" department. However, my whole life has been living this tension and trying not to overemphasize one more than the other.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I'm glad I went to Seminary. It gave me organization, structure, deeper foundation, and more tools/better equipped-ment to serve in ministry.
I feel the same could come from counseling. As of now, you are able to help the many friends, family, etc. with your gifting. With a degree, the doors are thrown wide open to the number of strangers' lives you are able to impact and influence to the glory of God and life, emotion, soul restoration. I think school is especially helpful if you're able to go somewhere that marries the concrete sciences and faith in our Lord as the ultimate healer and restorer of broken hearts and lives.
Just my two cents on the matter. :)
What she said!
ReplyDeleteBut seriously, I think many of us wrestle with the same thought of getting a formal education versus doing the things God has called us to do and has given us natural ability to do. Why can't it be a both/and?! :)
Education in and of itself is never a waste to me. Whether you end up pursuing a degree in order to broaden your sphere of influence or not, God will lead. The value of education, learning under others who usually have more knowledge than yourself can push you to greater heights...even if their thinking is different or at times oppostite from yours. Critical thinking skills are vital in the world of ministry and just living life!
In terms of "ruining or tainting" what God has given you there is also the option of itstead enhance and grow you beyond what you ever could have imagined...God has a way of doing that sometimes! :)
I think now I'm just trying to rid my fears at this point. There's a few...
ReplyDelete