"Enjoy what you have rather than desiring what you don’t have. Just dreaming about nice things is meaningless—like chasing the wind." Ecc. 6:9
We had a friend come over the other day and talk to us about our finances and about how we should consider budgeting to save and create a comfortable retirement for ourselves. Adam and I looked at each other and thought the exact same thing.
First of all, we doubt we’ll retire… we both love to work-that’s what God sent us here to do. I think our “work” will drastically change from now and then, but I don’t think the “work” will ever end. (It's possible our thoughts on this might change a bit once we get older, but I doubt it)
Second… paying off the house, being comfortable financially, having a nest egg of cash… none of those things sound appealing to us. It would be too easy to get sucked into the world if we were comfortable. Bills? They will always be… and it’s a good thing. I don’t want to have everything, I don’t want to have anything if it’s not for the glory of God. Being financially smart??? We’re totally on it. We don’t have a lot of debt other than our car and house. We are incredibly careful with credit cards because they’re evil. (any of the "flashy" things we do have were bought with the mind set of hospitality, function, and fellowship-our car, tv, wii, xbox 360, house...)
Keeping our motives and heart in check is our main goal and I’m very grateful that Adam and I are on the same wavelength with spending money and wanting things. We still fight urges and we make spending mistakes, etc. But I love where we are… in smart debt.
Any thoughts?
Where are you in your life financially? Are you comfortably chipping away at debt? Are you drowning in debt? Are you constantly making decisions financially that you wish you hadn't? What does this mean to our lives when we are supposed to be seeking Heaven and not Earth?
hoarding money and paying off debt simply to be more "comfortable" may not be the right way of thinking and certainly isn't what Christ wants us to do with our money, but God has different plans for everyone. And for some, paying off debt is a part of His plan for them. Maybe they will be better used in this circumstance. Some may then be able to travel with missions more, not having so many heavy bills, some may simply give more money to needy areas, (which are all over) maybe they can buy a car for someone in need, maybe a mom can finally stay home with their own kids or a Grandmother can go part time and spend more time with her grandkids. Maybe she goes to China to minister there. Maybe a family could invest more time in one another instead of working more to pay off deep debt. I say all this only to say, we don't know everyone's circumstances and def can't know God's plan for any of us in the future, so to speak as though paying off debt is worldly is not always correct. It CAN be. But paying off debt does not necessarily mean someone is seeking the world. i just think we have to be careful not to judge hearts by this. As far as us in particular, we're in the middle, I guess.
ReplyDeleteI certainly didn't mean it to come across that way. Thank you for pointing that out. I meant it specifically for my life and that paying off debt is CERTAINLY a priority (God does not call us to live in debt but to be able to give to others). But financial security to just hold onto for selfish reasons not pleasing to God was my target. Hording money just to have it and spend it on things that aren't for the glory of God.
ReplyDeleteDoes that help???
Sorry for the confusion. Thanks Rach for your feedback.
yeah, I gotcha. ;)
ReplyDelete