Saturday, September 13, 2008

Man vs. Wild

Premise: Satan has tempted Adam and Eve with the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil... the forbidden tree. Eve eats the fruit after being convinced that it would be good for her and when she doesn't die on the spot, (as promised by God) offers the fruit to her husband, Adam. He eats. Then they both became ashamed of their nakedness and run and hide, making clothes from fig leaves. God knows of their disobedience and sin, calls to them like that of hide and go seek, yet knowing where they hide.

"Where are you?" He calls.
Adam responds: "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."


Shame.


Unholy Fear.


The story is told with fingers pointing at anyone but themselves and the snake, Satan gets the full blame. God curses the snake and makes him an enemy to humanity.


This is where we pick up in the story...


Genesis 3:17-19


17 To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,'
"Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat of it
all the days of your life.


18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.


19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return." (Italics-mine)



To think that the TV show, Man vs. Wild with Bear Grylls, would not even be possible without sin is a strange thought to me. Things that we find entertaining are the exact result of sin. Survival, hunting, struggling with nature, extreme weather climates, dehydration... these things would not have to be taught if only we had listened.


Genesis 3:8-9 & 15-16:


8 Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 And the LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.


15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 BUT you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die." (Italics and bold-mine)


The part that really peaks my interest...


Genesis 3:1a:


1 "Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made." (Italics and bold-mine)


Crafty: Conniving. Cunning. Sly. Tricky. Guileful. Deceitful. Murderer.

Satan is subtle most times and twists words into lies in our ears...
Which whispers do you listen to from day to day; moment by moment?
Who is your LORD or Master?
To whom do you serve?

From good... no, very good (Genesis 1:31). To cursed. To sinful. Doomed to death.


How I am glad that the story doesn't end there.


We have the hope of our SAVIOR... One who has rescued ALL, saving us from our much deserved death. The death He promised if we sinned.
I know I have sinned. I know I deserve death. Regardless of the good' I do, without the faith, knowledge, and humility of salvation... all those 'good deeds' are as "filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6) to God. No 'good' is GOOD without Christ Jesus' sacrifice.

Hope in Jesus, the Son of God!!!

Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment