Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stargirl


So, I'm reading a past-time favorite. I read it 4 years ago and haven't read it again since. I remember it moving me to tears at parts and at other times making me burst into laughter. I rented it from the library on audio, John Ridder is reading it for me, and I listened to a big chunk of it while I was mowing the lawn. I had forgotten how refreshing this sweet little book is. It's nice having it read to me, it's as if I have been transported back to elementary school when the teacher used to read amazing books to us like my favorite: The B.F.G. (Big Friendly Giant).

What is it about children's books that I love so much? I love the innocence, the simple wit, purity of a child's mind, the simplicity of truth and honesty, the picture that the author sketches because to a child-these images are very clear and very detailed, but mostly: the innocence and purity.
I think I will read children's literature until the day I die... I learn so much through them and it helps me remember what it was like before I grew up. I miss those days... before, there was no work, only chores. Before, there was no entertainment, only fun.
I hope to return to this state in Heaven some day... I hope we are all children waiting to sit on our Daddy's lap to read us a story, clinging onto every word. Some day we'll laugh at the silly Israelites.. but for now, we are the Israelites.

If you haven't read Stargirl... you MUST!

Matthew 19:13-15

1 comment: